Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 40 - Friday, June 19
Start - Hutchinson, KS
End - Larned, KS
Miles (on the route) - 67.0
Miles (total) - 74.25
Avg Spd - 11.0
Max Spd - 31.0
Total ride time - 6:30
I woke up about as early as I do, 7:30, and was leaving by 8:30. I would have liked to ride more with the group but I can't afford to take a day off while trying to get to Pueblo to meet up with Lisa. Anna said she may leave today also but I didn't know for sure. I figure I may bump into the group down the road.
I made a stop to grab a quick breakfast at Burger King, and some locals chatted it up, asking questions. Hutchinson is officially off route so I asked for some directions for the best way to get to Nickerson and back on route. Two older gentlemen instantly started into a battle for the best directions. It's interesting how the morning crew tends to have a battle of egos to see who has the best directions or the best weather report. It makes it difficult to just get the info for which you are looking. Eventually I was guided to Nickerson Blvd and headed towards what would essentially be my "fueling" point for the day. After Nickerson there is nothing until you reach Larned 58 miles later. On the way there I passed by an exotic animal farm and relaxed for a moment, watching the ostriches in the field. These birds are amazing to see up close, so different. They stand like dinosaurs before your very eyes. And their feet are massively unique; strangely exactly what you expect, but strikingly large! This sounds funny, but they are as striking as the huge mits of an Amish man! Only later did I think to have taken a closeup shot of their feet.I stopped at Nickerson and loaded up on extra bottles of water and some snacks to last me the 58 mile stretch. I even found Turkey Hill Iced Tea! It must be a good sign. It was a staple of my diet during the college years, but I haven't had that stuff since the Lancaster days. I moved out with some cloud cover, and the temperature staying relatively mild. I was expecting another blazing hot day, but it wasn't showing itself yet. A breeze slowly increased into a wind blowing from the South, so it was shaping up to be a day of crosswinds. I guess that's better than a headwind!
Save for a turn in the first ten miles this was a stretch of completely straight road. Occasionally there was a tree line, maybe a house, but mostly it was just mile after mile of field and occasional ranching pasture. The sun slowly started to peak out and the temperature started to climb. And within an hour of leaving Nickerson the winds changed to a full on headwind. Frustration quickly set in as I cranked away against the puch of the wind, creeping along despite the miles of flattest land the laid out before me. Shortly this was compounded by getting another flat tire! This day was unravelling rapidly! I took it as an opportunity to take a short break and clear my head, so I found some shade and ate a snack. It helped a bit, but the wind did not let up and my frustrations made an immediate return.
To try to describe the thought process during approximately 40 miles of headwinds that kept me struggling under 9mph is frustrating in itself. Those miles were a test of focus and distraction; a constant cycle of consciously seeking peace and search for anything but concentration. One moment you are finding yourself filled with rage, almost unconsciously finding nothing but negativity in every thought. I played through conversations, arguments, fantasizing about the things I would say or do to a person who might make a sarcastic or negative comment. I'm not proud of it, and rather ashamed of some of it, but it's something that happens. I was amidst a real life myth of Sysyphus for a brief time, and it really does drive you half crazy. Repeatedly, I would catch myself in this negative focus, and almost shock myself when I stepped back and looked at my pattern of thoughts for the last several miles. I then found myself engaged in a self talk that returned me to proper perspective, reminding myself that everything is temporary. Every moment is a passing moment. In time I'll look back on this as accomplishment, rolling into Larned triumphant with my arms raised. I reminded myself of rewards, though small, such as a large bottle of Orange Juice or a phone conversation with a friend. Believe it or not these things motivate in such situations.
The scenery didn't change over the course of those 58 flat miles. The only real marker of progress was a highway intersection 20 miles east of Larned. After passing over that it wasn't long before the headwind miraculously lightened and shifted to a crosswind. I found myself finally finding a sense of ease and contentment as I, shamefully, turned to .38 special for some earphone motivation. I became overwhelmed with excitement as I saw in the distance the sign for the turn that would take me the last mile into Larned. Just a few last pedal strokes and then refreshment and relaxation!
Upon entering I checked in with the police, found the park where I would be camping, and was overjoyed to find the glory of another public pool! I was immediately greeted and told I could use the pool and shower for free! That may have been the most satisfying swim ever. Suddenly everything is right again. And already all the day's frustrations seem distant and almost laughable. I ended the evening with a mediocre chinese buffet and made my way back to the park to set up my tent. I was surprised to find Anna had found her way to Larned, with similar struggles, and had just set up her tent. It was good to have company again and we chatted between tents while the mosquitos swarmed outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment