Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 10 - Wednesday, May 20
Start - Toutville, VA
End - Radford, VA
Miles (on route) - 56.5
Miles (total) - 59
Ave Spd - ?
Max Spd - 37.5mph
Total ride time - 6:05
I woke up anxious to finally get my wheel and start real riding again, so I headed off the route towards Roanoke. I arrived at the home of Sam's dad, David, around noon and we were able to sit out on his porch and chat while waiting for the wheel to arrive. It was great to be able to relax in the afternoon with company and have good conversation, talking mostly about politics. It was interesting, as with any similar opportunity, to see the likeness between Sam and her father. They are both passionate, especially politically, and have the same spontaneous unrestrained laugh. The wheel arrived shortly and David drove me to the local bike shop. While they transferred the wheel and made sure everything was in good shape, David bought me lunch nextdoor and we got to talk about the trip and more politics. Being out here solo hasn't allowed me the usual opportunities to have such conversation, so this was a treat.
With the new wheel I wanted to get out and make some ground so I set out for Radford where I could have a free stay at the home of Dr. Lee and his family. It was a late start, about 4:00, and I had almost 50 miles to go so I was trucking as hard as I could. But the mountains and hills were still constant in this territory and it was frustrating with every climb. On my travel toward Christiansburg I found the company of a bike racing team. It made me jealous to see them cruising on 15lb bikes and not carrying any weight. I've been wondering how I could handle these mountain climbs if I just dumped my 55lbs of gear.
My climb up to Christiansburg was long and laborous and I found myself at the mountaintop town at dusk. I was feeling exhausted and anxious with about ten miles to go. Every turn and hill had me hoping for a sign that I was approaching Radford. I ended up riding almost a full hour in the dark before I finally arrived at Dr. Lee's house, not something I enjoyed or intend to repeat.
Dr. Lee and his wife, Sarah, were some of the kindest people. I was told of them by the Cookie Lady and they have been taking in riders for over 16 years now. Dr. Lee once did the TransAm with his two sons in the 80s. Right away they put a heaping plate of Spaghetti in front of me gave me a pitcher of iced tea. We talked for a few hours about riding, and also much about my experiences in the mental health field and possible directions into the medical field. They had plenty of advice and information on the ideas of pursuing an education and career as a physician's assistant versus nursing/nurse practioner. It's something that has been on my mind for years and will be heavy on my mind during this trip. I think I'll be ready for action once I complete this.
The Lee's had me make myself at home, allowing me to shower, do laundry, use the internet, and even gave me a room in their home. The bed was much appreciated! A home is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment