Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 6 - Saturday, May 16
Start - Afton, VA
End - Vesuvius, VA
Miles (on route) - 32.5
Miles (total) - 32.5
Ave Spd - 9.1mph
Max Spd - 40mph
Total Ride Time - 3:49
I started the day feeling refreshed, packing my bike outside the bike house, and watching a few bikers sweat their way up the road in Afton on their way up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I soon joined and dove into what would certainly be a long, tiring day. On the initial climb I met two riders from just outside Chicago, Jed and Sean. They quit their jobs to do the Trans-Am without any time schedule. I enjoyed their approach, to whereever today, for however long. They weren't in any rush to get anywhere, just taking their time and enjoying the riding. I followed with them for much of the first half of the day.
The climbs were difficult in how steep they were, but the biggest challenge was the slow wear on the spirit to climb to 3200 feet, go downhill and have to immediately reascend. All day this was the pattern, constantly reclimbing mountain sides that seemed like they were already climbed. It was a test in will and focus, all you can do is put it into a low gear and just keep pedaling. Just like in running, you have to keep breaking down the challenge, focusing on just the next short obstacle. Just up to the next turn, or just a few more pedal strokes.
By late afternoon I was making my final ascent, still feeling relatively good. As I rolled off of the parkway and onto rt 56, I was filled with a sense of accomplishment. Ego kicked in, filled with pride as I had just beaten these mountains. The descent to Vesuvius was a high, winding down the steep mountainside feeling triumphant. I heard stories about this descent, dangerous with its hairpin turns and constant downhill without a level break. And it wasn't long until I found out for myself.
While going into one of the turns, my back tire exploded with the sound of a gun. I struggled to keep control as the tire came loose, sending me fishtailing left and right around the turn while trying to avoid going off the edge or into the inside ditch at a high rate of speed. Eventually I wiped out acroos the road receiving a few road burns and scrapes, but coming out without any serious injury. I found the sidewall of the tire had torn and left me without any chance or permanent repair. I put in a new tube, and much to the grimace of many a biker, used duct tape to try to hold the tire together just to make it to camp.
After getting the bike going, the tube held up for a mile or two getting me into Vesuvius and to Gertie's Country Store where I would be able to camp for the night. Boyd and Tammy were immediately helpful, allowing me to camp and use their phone to investigate the hours of the closest bike shop, 20 miles away in Lexington, and even offered to drive me there in the morning. I got settled into my tent that night as a serious thunderstorm moved in, bringing a heavy downpour and light show to cap off what was an up and down day in more ways than one. I lay there writing, unable to call anyone, and reflecting on the events of the day, initially feeling frustrated and discouraged. But those feelings were soon replaced with a confidence and appreciation of having people like Boyd and Tammy around to help out in those situations. I found myself thinking about this trip, going into it as a personal challenge; one where I alone would face and conquer each daily obstacle. And I think I started to appreciate more of what a journey like this is all about; the people you are lucky enough to know and share these times with, and the people who can help support you when you need the help.
Oh, and they have some of the best damn Pork BBQ you'll ever have.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your bike but so glad you continue to come across these wonderful people. You started out a cynic, James, but I believe you will come out an optimist. But no more tire explosions, ok? It freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey James,

    It's, er, James... met you at the Blue Moon... anyway, I thought I would suggest that you consider carrying a spare tire for these kinds of events. The rear tire bears a considerable load and is likely to fail so a spare tire will be a good investment. You can foldable tires that will fit in your pack. Keep up the good riding.

    James

    ReplyDelete