Sunday, May 10, 2009

I'm new to this blogging so please bear with me. I've done plenty of writing in the past but it was always strictly for me; this will be a new experience. And new experiences are plentiful these days. I begin this cross country bicycle trip tomorrow morning, and I currently find myself homeless, jobless, and without most traditional securities for the next three months. Traveling has always been a passion. Road trips by car have been common and I've even driven cross country in the past, but this adventure will certainly prove to be something new. I'm anxious to watch the terrain change at a slower pace, and interact with it one mile at a time.

I've been asked numerous times, "Why are you doing this?" I suppose the short answer is to get to Portland, OR for best friend Mary's wedding on August 8th, but that would be a bit incomplete. The notion to do something like this came to me almost a year ago. Various major elements of life had been changing every six months for several years; there was always a twist or turn in the road. But I soon found myself feeling stagnant, unfiulfilled, and without strong ties or direction that had me headed anywhere in particular. It was time to shake things up a bit.
This isn't the first time I've been in this position. Four years ago I felt a similar urge and up and moved to Philadelphia, leaving behind my more rural upringing and what is still the best job I've ever had at Philhaven Hospital. But I needed change, and things have turned out for the better since then besides numerous challenges and difficulties. I've had numerous ideas for what I may do after this trip, but I'm maintaing a focus on each individual day of this journey and keeping an open mind for new ideas that may spring forth. I've never been one too focused on tomorrow, just today. One day at a time.
So this trip has already been a challenge, before I even take my first pedal strokes from the beach at Yorktown, VA. Part of the appeal of this adventure was the personal challenge I would be setting before me. I'm not sure I've ever taken on a formidable task and finished it feeling like I had achieved TRUE success, feeling like I gave it my all and carrying a genuine sense of pride. I coasted through college and got breaks on the roads to various achievements. There are accomplishments in my past, but nothing I've done as a purely individual effort. And now I feel I've already changed this. I've planned this trip, made sacrifices, worked, budgeted, and trained. And I look forward to continuing the focus.
It would, however, be false to not credit many for their support. As much as I view this trip as a personal challenge I wonuldn't be leaving tomorrow without the assistance of many. Johnny Sprockets helped me with my bike purchase, accesories, and generally educated a relatively amateur biker without even a hint of condescending attitude. They shared an enthusiasm for my trip that helped replace fear and nervousness with excitement and confidence. I'd also like to thank the guys from Erehwon Mountain Outfitter for their enthusiasm and guidance with assembling the necessary camping equipment. It's been great to get to know people better who share similar passions. I also have to mention all my friends at Goose Island Brewery who have showed interest in the trip, and placed heavy wagers against my ability to bike through even one state. Thanks for the laughs guys. But despite their doubts, they were so generous as to give me a shiny new ipod for the trip. Great gift, you know me well! So many friends and family have assisted in different ways, often with the support and interest that will prove invaluable on this journey. I've left many before, be it Lebanon, Lancaster, Philly, or now Chicago, but now I'm leaving EVERYone for a while and it only serves to heighten the appreciation of the ones I love. I can't say thanks enough for people just being friends, and I hope to continue to hear from all of you on this trip. I won't be able to do it without you!

Keep watching and I'll see you soon!

5 comments:

  1. Yay James!!! So excited for you, good luck on your first day of riding :)

    Practice your hatchet throwing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck...and be sure to keep updating. I can't wait to see you again in Portland! You have all my good wishes and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Quite an undertaking! This is a long ways from goofing around on bikes outside of our college apartment. Good luck and I can't wait to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! My name is Ira and I am friends with Karissa. I have biked across the country, much of the US. I know routes real well. If you need any route support from here, please feel free to contact me at kastleski@aol.com.

    Feel free to visit my website at www.pedalamerica.tv
    Best of luck. Stay safe, and keep the rubber side down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I´m Friedrich from Munich Germany. I wanna go next year to the states to get expiriance about such amazing trip

    ReplyDelete