Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 15 - Monday, May 25
Start - Elkhorn City, KY
End - Hindman, KY
Miles (on the route) - 62.5
Miles (total) - 62.5
Avg Spd - 10.1mph
Max Spd - 31mph
Total Ride Time - 6:10
When we woke Drew had already left, apparently to get a cab all the way to Lexington, KY to get his bike repaired. I made my way to the local diner to get some breakfast, watching the locals chat about the town gossip while smoking their cigarettes and having the morning coffee. A storm soon moved in and I got my rain gear on for what would be a frequently wet day.
Storms moved in, and quickly cleared for most of the afternoon. I rode off and on with Jed and Sean as we headed toward our goal of Hindman. Our travels took us through more mountain country, even more eye opening than the previous days. Single lane back roads winded us through the mountain gaps, up and down hill climbs, passing occasional trailers and houses. Again, most were surrounded with abandoned cars, washers, dryers, toilets, and general rubbage. No landscaping, just the natural growth and surroundings. And again, many more dogs. It seems that at least two-thirds of the houses out here have dogs, and half of those dogs are unchained and without fences. We were on constant alert for the next pit bull mut that would charge us from the front porch. The barks immediately have you looking, and instantly the you find reserve power for the pedals, even if you just climbed the hillside. This is getting bad.
Although the mountains and hills are not as big as before, it seems the clouds and precipitation are getting caught in between, changing the weather system as you pass around each mountain. A new sight are the frequent dairy bars, as they call them here. Usually nothing more than roadside huts or booths with a drive-thru type window and a picnic table outside, they offer at least twentysome grill options, and ice cream and shakes. Surprisingly, they make a damn good burger!
As we closed in on Hindman, Jed got another flat. With his last tube shot, he had to hitch a ride into to the bed and breakfast he and Sean were planning to stay. Sean and I rode on, and with four major climbs on the day, we took the shortcut we were told of that took us around Pippa Passes and through the local college. Upon arriving in Hindman, I split to find free camping for the night and avoid the 30 dollar fee at the bed and breakfast. Usually asking around turns up somehting quick, but nobody in this town knew of a town park, fire station, police station, or church with campable grounds. It was getting dark and I was about to give up and spend the thirty bucks when I came across Paul, the police chief driving around. Paul couldn't think of a good spot either, and said while he has met many a biker passing through, never has one asked about a place to camp.
Big luck kicked in again, and he left me set up my tent in the back of the welcome center. I guess he the generosity got rolling for him, and he opened up his office for me to use for the night. He left me there for the night, and told me I was free to use the shower, tv, computer and the rest of the welcome center. I just had to be out by 5am so as not to scare the ladies who open up the center in the morning. So I got cleaned up, watched the Nuggets/Lakers game, and updated the blog. I was living the highlife once again! Paul had me relaxed like I was at a hotel. And no I didn't go snooping through the police chief's office, as curious as one would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment