Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 9 - Tuesday, May 19
Start- Buena Vista, VA
End - Troutville, VA
Miles (on route) - 57.5
Miles (total) - 57.5
Ave Spd - ?
Max Spd - 35.5
Total Ride Time - 4:49
It was kind of depressing to start the day further back than you had been the previous two days, but I was looking forward to getting in a full day's ride and making my way into new territory. The guy who runs the campground decided not to charge me for staying the night because I helped him load some picnic tables into his truck, so another free night! I stopped into Lexington one last time to make arrangements for receiving the new wheel.
I was planning on visiting my friend Sam's father in Roanoke and it seemed very convenient to just have the wheel shipped there. So I called Johnny Sprockets in Chicago, where I purchased my bike, and gave them the whole story. I was doubtful any kind of warranty would cover anything, given my abuse (riding the brakes too long and overheating the wheel to the point of failure.) But much to my amazement and delight, they decided to overnight me a new wheel at NO CHARGE! This was way above and beyond anything I ever expected! They said they didn't want me worrying about anything and just wanted me to be able to enjoy the trip. Wow! My original experiences with them were great, and now this?! Can't thank them enough!
So I made arrangements with Sam's dad, David, and would be meeting him around lunchtime in Roanoke the following day, and then have the wheel put on the bike at the local shop. Finally it seems things are coming together. I can't wait to be riding smoothly and with confidence.
That day finished at Troutville where I earlier made arrangements to camp in the town park. I met up again with Ted and Lisa from Hawaii, and was able to talk with them more about their travels and background. The firehall across the street let us shower up, and I finally felt like I was back on track. Nice to be camping at a new spot with 50 miles on the day and a full day ahead of me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment