Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 4 - Thursday, May 14
Start - Mineral, VA
End - Charlottesville, VA
Miles (on route) - 51.5
Miles (total) - 54.5
Ave Spd - 12.3mph
Max Spd - 35.5mph
Total Ride Time - 4:31
Finally got an early start and was out biking by 9:30am. Most of the day was spent travelling through rural country, passing by points of interest you only find in these parts. I've seen one room school houses in Pennsylvania before, but I don't think one quite as small as the one pictured below. And I'm sure the always curious church signs will not quit as I cross the country. Much of Virginia has reminded me of Pennsylvania so far, with the hills and rural country. There are parts of Lebanon and Lancaster county where you may have to drive 15 miles just to get to your country store for groceries. I've found myself constantly wondering what it would be like to have grown up in the places I'm passing through, how much would be different. And sometimes I come to the conclusion that these places probably are not that different from some of the areas around where I've lived.
To get to Charlottesville, I had my first real climb. Even knowing that it probably did not compare to the Blue Ridge Mountains, I was still challenged by the winding mountain road that led me past Monticello and into Charlottesville. I stopped at the Monticello grounds to see Jefferson's infamous home, but quickly moved on when I saw the entrance fee; I am on a budget, and have places to go. I stopped for a picture on the way into Charlottesville with the Monticello climb behind me.
Charlottesville was different from everything else in Virginia so far. I have to be careful about my labels, but it definitely seemed like a college town with its eclectic population, left leaning culture, and art community. The city definitely stuck out in contrast to the Virginia I've experienced so far. I talked to several people about the trip at the library as well as the open air mall that was lined with restaurants and shops. I met a friendly woman who was organizing events for the bike week in Charlottesville and directed me to the Blue Moon Diner for a discounted dinner for bikers. However I soon found my first brewpub and decided to prioritize that. South Street Brewery was mediocre, but even mediocre beer was treat at this point. After a couple pints and some dinner, dusk was setting in and I needed to find camp for the night. I had been hoping to meet the right person(s) to ask about throwing down the tent, but the crowd at the brewpub was too stiff and I settled into the idea of finally paying to camp. On my way out of town I happened to pass the Blue Moon Diner, and with its twenty bikes parked outside I figured it would be a friendly environment. I hoped to find somebody sympathetic to the cause, and to my surprise I found the same woman who directed me there earlier. I was able to have a beer with Jennifer, her boyfriend Vince, their friend James, and talk about the trip/biking and get to know a bit about Charlottesville. I should mention the Blue Moon Diner was a great spot with its laid back crowd, live music and shelves of records on the walls to be played at other times. The three of them were all avid bikers and Vince allowed me to throw the tent down in the backyard, which was interesting considering the downpour that had started by then. It was great to have a beer in the company of others, and I enjoyed meeting some people that really put me at ease. I got a good feeling from Charlottesville.

No comments:

Post a Comment