Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 19 - Friday, May 29
Start - Richmond, KY
End - Lawrenceburg, KY
Miles (on the route) - all miles off route
Miles (total) - 59.6
Avg Spd - 10.0
Max Spd - 31
Total Ride Time - 6:11
I was awakened around 7:30 at the church by the landscaping team riding their lawnmower around my tent, apparently wanting me to pack up and leave. I headed down to the McDonald's for a cheap breakfast before setting out for Lexington and eventually Lawrenceburg. I've adapted to this lifestyle on the road, and while I'm not always proud of it, you take advantage of such quality facilities (McDonald's is always top notch) to brush your teeth and do basic hygiene. A gentleman entered the bathroom with his grandson while I was brushing, and in the embarassment, I felt I should explain myself. He laughed and introduced himself as Bobby, and we began chatting about the trip. Afterwards I grabbed breakfast and Bobby invited me to join his group where I spent the next hour getting to know them. About 7 total, they stop in to McDonald's to have the morning coffee and chat. They were a lively bunch and great to spend the morning with, and several even repeatedly threw me money to buy my breakfast. I had $15 in front of me by the time I left! Those folks put me in a good mood for the day, and gave me some tips for the day's navigation. I stopped at the local bike shop, Mike's Hike and Bike, in Richmond and got a new kevlar belted tire for my back wheel, replacing the standard tire I've been riding on since Lexington, VA. The guys at the shop were great help, looking over the bike and making some adjustments. And they even gave me some tips on changing out the tires, with which I've been having occasional difficulty.You'd think I would have that down before I even set out on a trip like this. We even had an extended chat about those famed mountainous parts of eastern Kentucky, especially that mountain speak. He mentioned of some of the influences and even told of an interesting story about a woman in South Carolina who served as a translator for for someone who was from a west African village. The South Carolina woman had lived in SC all her life and considered herself to speak English, and had no idea of her ties to this foreign language. After thinking about it, I guess it's not a stretch from the "Dutchified English" you sometimes hear back in central PA. So this melting pot of a country holds some strange creations.
I made out off route again for Lexington, and eventually Versailles and then Lawrenceburg. I was hoping to make it to the Woodford Reserved distillery in Versailles, but I soon realized I wouldn't get there in time and planned to instead see a bit of Lexington. I was told to check out Kentucky Ale, and found it, only to discover it had no brewpub. They were kind enough to direct me to an ale house amidst the University of Kentucky where I was able to try two of their beers, including their Kentucky Bourbon Ale; Great bourbon flavor without as much strength as you usually get with a bourbon aged beer. I couldn't stay long and needed to get to the campground outside Lawrenceburg where I would be meeting with Ben, Anice, and Hannah. One the way out of Lexington I got some sort of upholstery tack in my back tire and another flat. Ironic I get a new kevlar belted tire and on the same day I run over a 1 inch tack. This is the only thing that frustrates me, bike maintenance. Apparently I need to be reading Zen again, and I do have my copy with me.
I knew the way to Lawrencebug, but being off the map made me a bit nervous for those times I second guess the accuracy of where I'm going. I can't double check the map. But I rolled into the campground at Beaver Lake with some directional help from Anice and the drunk guy at the convenience store in Lawrenceburg. Ben, Anice, and Hannah drove all the way from Columbus OH, 4+ hours, to do some camping and biking for the weekend. Finally, some familiar faces and company. I don't see them often enough so everytime is great. The campground was busy with people for the all night catfish tournament, but we got a spot and setup. We made the world's lamest campfire and barely got some some smores made, but it was good just to relax and enjoy the company. And they brought some Belle's Two Hearted Ale! Finally a relaxing evening with some good beer!Tomorrow Ben and I would ride about 40 miles to Bardstown.

No comments:

Post a Comment