Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 24 - Wednesday, June 3
Start - McDandiels, KY
End - Sebree, KY
Miles (on the route) - 79.5
Miles (total) - 81.75
Avg Spd - 14mph
Max Spd - 38.5mph
Total Ride Time - 5:42
I got up that morning refreshed from the shower. Couldn't start the day any better. There was a chance of getting some storms but in the morning it was looking pretty good. I felt like today might be a good day to put on some big mileage, getting an early start and the terrain would be descending over the course of the day.
It was all sun out to Whitesville where I stopped for water and a short break at the convenience store. When I left, the sun was gone and dark clouds were moving directly towards me. I was lucky the route changed direction, south, and I thought maybe I could move swiftly and get below the storm. The winds picked up and the thunder and lightning moved in. I started taking note of shelter if I had to abandon the road for a bit, but the storm was always just next to me. Storms continued to move around my path but never actually moved overhead, so I was able to ride dry.
I made another stop later in the afternoon at small country store in Ohio County where I got a snack and chatted with the lady working there. I had noticed various posters regarding meth use in recent areas, and this store additionally had "hot spot" cards to anonymously report meth labs and other drug related crimes. I had alway heard that meth was a big problem in these smaller towns, but I took the opportunity to get an insider's opinion, and asked the clerk about the prevalence of meth in the area. She explained it was pretty serious in this county and several of the neighbroring counties, and eventually even told me of her own teenage son having been caught up in the drug for several years, eventually serving three years in prison. He's been clean now for a year and a half and is now focused on working and a relationship he's in with a supportive girlfriend. She says she sees it often, but she's not sure why some of the kids get caught up in it. I'm not sure that these small towns would be any better a spot to raise a child than a large city.
I eventually rolled into Sebree around 6:30, considering trying to go for a century, 100 miles. But it wouldn't be long until dusk and I knew of places I could definitely stay in Sebree. I took the sure thing and headed over to the First Baptist Church that advertised "hostel like accomodations." Turns out my reward for the 80 mile ride was 5 star accomodations! Violet, showed me around the recreation room where I could stay for no charge. I had a shower, laundry facilities, mattresses, a fully stocked kitchen, and a big screen tv. This was luxury!I got cleaned up and went down to the dairy bar for a burger and a chocolate shake. That night I dozed off on the couch watching the news and getting caught up in what is actually happening in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment