Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 31 - Wednesday, June 10
Start - Centerville, MO
End - Eminence, MO
Miles (on the route) - 42.0
Miles (total) - 42.75
Avg Spd - 11.0mph
Max Spd - 41.0mph
Total Ride Time - 3:50
Going to bed early lastnight had me awake just before 7am. The rain was gone and looked to be clearing, and soon the clouds broke allowing the sun to shine through for the first time while I packed up. Maybe I can pick up some extra miles today. I checked into the police station again before leaving to use the bathroom and get some weather updates. I was told again storms would be moving in this afternoon, again with severe potential. And for the second day in a row, I was told I had the worst or the Ozarks starting as soon as I leave town.
While in the police station I found an intriguing sight, a large showcase of confiscated marijuana paraphernalia. All sorts of creatively designed bongs, pipes, and cleverly disguised containers for hiding the drugs. It almost appeared to be a shrine of sorts, and atop was a picture of a suited gentleman with the words, "Our hero!" Maybe he was the DA.
I rode the hills into Ellington, with vehicles honking at me along the way, and stopped there for a drink. The lady at the convenience store warned me again of the storms approaching, and said there was tornado potential. This must be just a daily occurence. She also warned me of the logging trucks and to be careful on these narrow winding roads. I've already gathered most of the situation; if a logging truck is coming through, just get the hell off the road. They aren't moving for anybody.
The skies stayed clear and sunny for the morning ride, though the humidity was ridiculous and with every hill climb I had sweat just running off my arms and legs. My gloves were soaked as well as my socks and the rest of my riding clothes. These rollercoaster hills were tough; repeated ups and downs with few breaks to just pedal at a steady pace. These weren't as bad as the Appalachians, but they were a task all their own.I mad it about 40 miles into Eminence by lunch time, and looked for a meal. Again I got repeated warnings of the approaching nasty weather, and was told severe thunderstorms, with tornado potential, would be hitting by 2 or 3. With that being the case, I decided it probably wouldn't be a good risk to try to make it 20 miles to the next town of Summersville. Convinced my tent wouldn't make the storm, I decided to brakdown and get a motel. I was able to barter with a place in town for a room for 30 dollars. I suppose I could use a little plush comfort.
Eminence was a big riding town, and for a population of 550 people, the tourism had the town at least double that. There were numerous restaurants, cabin sites and motels, and people riding horses everywhere. This was real cowboy country, with all the men in button downs, cowboy hats, jeans and leathers, and everybody wearing cowboy boots. Tack shops galore. This place was active, and a bit different from previous Missouri towns and from what I expected. I got some BBQ and spent most of the day relaxing in the motel room enjoying the simple mindless pleasures of cable television, a hot shower, and air conditioning. Best part is, it never did rain a single drop this day. No storms. I think I'm done listening to the locals who dispense weather while sipping coffee. I felt silly about dropping the money on a motel, but I can't say I didn't enjoy just taking an easy day relaxing with missed amenities.

No comments:

Post a Comment