Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 36 - Monday, June 15
Start - Pittsburg, KS
End - Chanute, KS
Miles (on the route) - 60.0
Miles (total) - 65.23
Avg Spd - 14.5mph
Max Spd - 26.0mph
Total ride time - 4:29
I rode with Kaleb and Andy over to a local bike shop in the morning. They were rotating tires and I wanted to have the wheel checked out on account of the metal under the tape and the flats. While they moved their wheels around I took the time to hit the post office and dump some weight. The weight hasn't been a problem for my riding, but the busted spoke and flats worried me that the weight may be too much for the back wheel. I dumped my camp stove and related equipment, and also two books and some random items. In all, I mailed off about 9 pounds. After returning to the bike shop, the mechanic inspected the wheel and put new tape on, and then trued the wheel and got rid of some dish that was there. He didn't have a definite explanation for the flats but figured it must have just been punctures. I'm getting curious about this Maxis Overdrive tire I'm riding.
On the way out an older gentleman warned me of incoming severe storms with tornado potential. It never quits. I went over to the library and checked the weather which showed nothing on the radar and said there was storm potential for counties east of Pittsburg. I've learned that the morning gossip is seldom correct and I went ahead and left for Chanute.
This map for Kansas stopped having an elevation graph because there are no major hills or climbs. The day still had long stretches of inclines and declines, and the occasional small hill. Roads are now long and straight, and only seem to connect at right angles that correspond with compass directions. It makes it very simple to know exactly what direction you are always headed.
The day was again blazing into the high 90s and it was at a brief water stop in Walnut that I saw the tv weather report that called for strong storms late that night. As I rolled into Chanute I could see the sky darkening along the horizon as storms prepared to move in. A lady driving in recommended I stop at the Chanute fire house to see about camping there on account of the storms. On the way there I passed an amusing sign at a muffler shop and took advantage of the photo opportunity.
I was greeted at the fire house and told I could bring in my stuff, shower, and even do laundry. And a fire pole! Awesome! I weighed myself and I was down to 204; 15lbs lost so far. After grabbing some dinner at a nearby sandwich shop, I hung out with a few of the firefighters and we swapped stories. It wasn't long until they got a call as the storm moved in, and I soon found myself relieved to be indoors. Strong whipping winds and a huge downpour crashed down that was strong enough to pulverize my tent had I camped out. As the crew returned the power went out in the whole city, and the firefighters scrambled to get the backup generator going. They soon found the ventilation system hadn't been connected to the generator and they repeatedly had to go outside in the storm to try to get it started. With carbon monoxide meters in hand, they tested each part of the station, opening some windows and doors, and soon decided they may have to shut down the generator due to the unsafe levels. I was awake with the chaos until after 1 in the morning when the storm finally moved on and the station was safely ventilated.

No comments:

Post a Comment