Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 37 - Tuesday, June 16
Start - Chanute, KS
End - Eureka, KS
Miles (on the route) - 62.0
Miles (total) - 62.25
Avg Spd - 13.5mph
Max Spd - 30.5mph
Total Ride time - 4:35
Chanute was sunny and clear in the morning, and no sign of damage despite the crazy storm. I stopped for an early lunch on the way out at Taco John's, the southwestern Taco Bell competitor. It brought a strange amusement to me because of the cross-country road trip Mary and I did six years ago. We made a habit of stopping at every taco place we could find and I distinctly remember eating at one of these during the trip. I think I even have a pile of pictures somewhere of Mary giving celebratory poses in front of various taco chains. I hoped this was a sign of moving into southwestern food territory. I'm definitely looking forward to the green chili smothering of Colorado!
I got my first real dose of the Kansas winds this day; a strong cross wind from the South. It's a different experience. You find yourself leaning left all the time, and getting mild lateral swerving from the differentiating gusts and lulls. At one point I was briefly turned south and got the full brunt of a headwind which proved extremely frustrating. It's definitely a mental challenge, fighting the wind and keeping mental peace.
I eventually got to Eureka in time for dinner, but first went to check out the camping situation. I was directed to the city park and found out they had a pool and showers I could use. Awesome! It was another blazing hot day so a dip in the pool sounded like the best thing ever! I went swimming in the only thing I had, the biking shorts. One little girl found this offensive and yelled to her mom, "Ewwww! That boy is in his boxers!" Thank God I wasn't arrested! I spent about two hours just swimming and relaxing by the pool. So relaxing! I found a dairy bar in town and got an amazing chocolate shake and double cheeseburger and called it a night at the city park. Another great day.

1 comment:

  1. This blog is amazing Jim - can't wait for the next update! What you're doing is very inspiriing and I hope you find what you're looking for,

    Matt Dissinger

    ReplyDelete