Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 30 - Tuesday, June 9
Start - Farmington, MO
End - Centerville, MO
Miles (on the route) - 51.0
Miles (total) - 51.0
Avg Spd - 13.7mph
Max Spd - 41.0mph
Total Ride Time - 3:43
I started my day at the laundromat for some more much needed business and then spent a brief time at the library. Storms were supposed to be moving in again today and I'm beginning to gather that this is going to be a daily thing in Missouri and probably Kansas. This time I'm hearing chances of severe thunderstorms. I was also warned that the Ozarks would really start kicking in and it would be rollercoaster hills for many miles.
The storms hovered over me most of the day, but without doing much damage until late that afternoon. The sun would take peaks but it was soon lost for day. I've started getting alot of honks from drivers. Doesn't seem to matter if there is traffic around or not, they don't appear to want me out there. There was a bit yesterday also, once I got into Missouri. I had one truck repeatedly honk his horn and shake his fist, yelling. At least he did give me room! The hills grew more frequent and became the rollercoaster hills of which I was warned. The roads were narrow and winding, and combined with the constant hills lack of shoulder were not the safest I had been on. Trees were down along the roadside from a recent storm apparently. And that was about the time the rain began. It was light but had me pretty wet by the time I got to Centerville. On account of the severe storm warnings and the darkening sky, I stopped at the Sherrif's office and asked about the weather. I was told there was a tornado and large hail about a half hour prior and only aobut ten miles away, but it had already passed. The officer told me they didn't think there was anything behind it and I should be ok to move on to Ellington about 15 miles down the road. I stopped at the convenience store on my way out to grab a drink and that's when the flood gates opened. It started pouring and whipping wind, and the lightning became severe. I stood in that convenience store for aobut an hour before it lightened up enough to go back to the police station and see about staying in the town for the night. It was a small town of about 170 people, and I was told I could set up the tent in the courtyard in fron of the courthouse. That didn't seem too inviting on account of the light show that was going on, but I found a covered porch on the side of the courthouse and set up my tent underneath there. The rain never did let up that night, and neither did the lightning. I'm glad I didn't set out for Ellington afterall. I slept well in the tent that night despite the storm, and hoped for a clearer tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment